Encouragement from the Word

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth"
III John 1:4


Thursday, January 26, 2012

Books That Have Changed my Life...and May Change Yours!

     I don't know why it takes some of us 30 or more years to come to realize what's really important in life...to break out of our self-centeredness and begin to see the needs around us...to understand that we are here for a purpose and it isn't to gather the most "stuff", go on great vacations, climb the corporate ladder, or build a great reputation in our community.

     God has a purpose for our lives and it is to glorify Him by spreading the love and message of Christ to a lost world. If only we would learn this lesson early in life and not waste so many years in selfish and vain pursuits. We are to live life with a heavenly perspective...laying up treasures in heaven rather than here on earth where we are only passing through. One day we will all have to answer to God for what we did with the time he gave us . I only wish I had not wasted so much of it.

     In the last few years, as I have spent time in God's Word and read some really amazing Christian books, the Lord has taught me so much. He has shown me what is really important, as well as, refined my focus and revealed my purpose as it relates to my spiritual gifts and talents. In a nutshell...it's not about me...imagine that!

      I am still growing and learning and have by no means "arrived" when it comes to being totally sold out to Christ every moment of every day...oh how I wish that were true. In fact, I am a dirty, rotten sinner and I have to fight that sin nature every day. In my up-coming blogs I want to share with you a few of the books the Lord has used to change and grow me in the last few years. I hope you will take the time to read them and allow the Lord to use them in your life. They have truly impacted mine.

     If all this talk about the Lord has you puzzled or uncomfortable, you may need to think about where you expect to spend eternity. Do you know if you died today that you would go to heaven? You can know for sure! Check out the following verses to find the answer. Stay tuned for more.

Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"
Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"
Romans 10:9-10 - "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
Romans 10:13 - "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"
John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him shall be saved"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on this post. What do you think?