Encouragement from the Word

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth"
III John 1:4


Monday, August 13, 2012

Classical Conversations: The Adventure Begins!



Today my daughter and I and several other friends attended an open house for our new home school program...Classical Conversations. I can't tell you how excited I am that the Lord led us to this wonderful Christian based educational program and this new (to us) educational philosophy.

According to the Classical Conversations handbook, the program is: a mission - to know God and make Him known, a model - to combine a biblical worldview and classical tools and, a method - to equip parents and encourage students.

Classical Conversations is based on the classical tools of learning: grammatical, rhetorical and dialectical skills in particular.

The students go to a specific location one day a week to have lessons and concepts presented by an experienced Classical Conversations tutor. They will have opportunities to discuss literature, share their writing, learn Latin (!) and explore creationism vs evolution. The parent is still the child's primary teacher and works through the assignments with them during the week.

Our tutor is a godly, perky, former missionary, Mom who is definitely gifted and passionate about teaching. She actually seems to ooze the love of Jesus from every pore, if that's possible. I'm thrilled that we will have the opportunity to get to know this amazing woman as the year progresses.

My expectations for this program are that my daughter come out on the other side as a more independent learner, a more impassioned and skillful communicator and, that she will be moved to a closer walk with God as she begins to understand the power, genius and creativity of the God of the universe.

I am constantly amazed at how God orchestrates our lives as we seek to please and honor Him...opening up new avenues to fulfill the desires of our hearts. In this case, the desire of my heart to raise a godly young woman who will walk in the ways of the Lord and pass on the legacy of faith to her own children.

Another very special blessing that God showers on us at the most unexpected times is the gift of new friends who are in the same phase of life with the same heart for their children. It's an awesome thing to be in such a community. This is another facet and benefit of Classical Conversations.

For my daughter and I, this year will signal a change in the pace as well as the content of our previous homeschooling efforts. It will be a challenge  but we will embrace it and "work at it with all of our heart as unto the Lord".

I will keep you posted on our progress as we journey through this year of new friends, new material and new challenges. I can't wait to see what God has in store!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on this post. What do you think?