Encouragement from the Word

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth"
III John 1:4


Friday, March 23, 2012

Broken Vessels...Mended Hearts: The Power of God's Forgiveness

I Then Shall Live

I then shall live as one who's been forgiven.
I'll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father.
I am His child, and I am not afraid.

So greatly pardoned, I'll forgive my brother;
the law of love, I gladly will obey.
I then shall love as one who's learned compassion.
I've been so loved, that I'll risk loving, too

I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I'll dare to see another's point of view.
And when relationships demand commitment,
then I'll be there to care and follow through.

Your kingdom come around and through and in me.
Your power and glory, let them shine through me.
Your hallowed name, oh may I bear with honor,
and may your living kingdom come in me.

The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
and may you feed a hungry world through me.

Lyrics by Gloria Gaither


As I listened to this song by Gloria Gaither at a recent Sunday morning service, I was deeply touched by the words. This beautiful song so eloquently portrayed my own feelings about what God had done in my life. I found myself  "singing" the words loudly in my heart along with the choir as an expression of gratitude and worship to the God who had forgiven me of so much. I especially loved the first stanza:

I then shall live as one who's been forgiven.
I'll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father.
I am His child, and I am not afraid.


You see, although I grew up in a Christian home, was saved at an early age and spent all of my childhood and teen years very involved in church life, I have not always walked closely with the Lord. There was a brief time in my life that I wandered away from Him seeking after the things of the world and living very much for myself. Those few years away from the Lord were marked by self-centeredness, stubborness, arrogance and pride. I've often likened that period of my life to the story of the prodigal son who left the loving environment of his father's house to squander his inheritence and finally ended up living with the pigs. I had my own "pigpen" experience so to speak.


 The most amazing thing about my testimony is that even though I wandered away from him, the Lord never left me. As a matter of fact, his Word says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Praise God, I found this promise to be true!  The Lord eventually drew me back to himself.

Maybe your testimony is similar to mine...or maybe you're still in the "pigpen"...maybe you have wondered whether God can again use a broken, battered vessel for his glory. I am here to tell you that in Christ there is forgiveness, mercy and grace. Not only that...there is LIFE...glorious, fulfilling and eternal!  I have been constantly suprised and amazed at how God has given me new opportunities to serve him...even in these "middle-aged" years in which I find myself. I am here to testify that he can and does use broken vessels for his glory. God took my past...the good, the bad, and the ugly...and used it to shape me into the person I am today. Still a sinner...still striving for holiness...but comitted to Him. Contrition, repentance and a yielded heart are all that's required.

Another thing God has done through my life experience is to change my heart towards others. He has made me more accepting, forgiving and understanding to those who are unsaved or have wandered away from the Lord...or for that matter...to fellow Christians. The second stanza of this song expresses it so well:

So greatly pardoned, I'll forgive my brother;
the law of love, I gladly will obey.
I then shall love as one who's learned compassion.
I've been so loved, that I'll risk loving, too

In other words, who am I to hold a grudge or judge others for their failures when God has forgiven me of my own? There is no doubt that my life experience has given me more compassion and grace towards others and for that, I am so grateful to God.

Don't live with shame, regret and fear another minute. Forgiveness is only a prayer away. Allow these verses to encourage you and take hold of God's promise of forgiveness, mercy and grace. Broken vessels can become mended hearts.

"If we confess our sins he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

"As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12

"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on this post. What do you think?