Encouragement from the Word

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth"
III John 1:4


Sunday, May 27, 2012


I'm so thankful today for my family members who have served in the military; both those who have served in the past, and those who are currently serving. I thank God for their sacrifice, honor and patriotism and for the part they have played in securing our freedom here in America.

Thank you to my grandfather, who served in World War II. Thank you to my father (1927-2008) for his service in the U.S.Marine Corps. Thank you to my son, Nick, who has recently joined the United States Navy and will be in the Naval Dental Corps. I am so proud of you for choosing to serve. Thank you to my older brother, Mike, who served in the United States Air Force; and thank you to my younger brother, David, who has been serving in the United States Marines for 27 years and received a purple heart for injuries sustained while fighting in Iraq.


I am so proud of my heritage of patriotism and service...and of my country... the land of the free and the home of the brave.


Unfortunately, patriotism does not seem to hold the value that it once did in our country and  that saddens me. I want my children to know the sacrifices that have been made for the freedoms that we hold dear and to respect and honor those who have fought for those freedoms. I want them to understand how blessed they are to live in the United States of America and to know the faith and values of our Founding Fathers. I want them to honor and respect our flag that has flown in victory and honor in war torn areas all around the world, inspiring the men who fought under her stars and stripes.


I hope you will join with me in honoring all veterans and fallen heroes around our country who have fought and died for us, as well as those who are valiantly serving today. Sometime today, please pause and say a prayer of thanks and protection with me for those brave men and women who serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments on this post. What do you think?