- Are you spending an excessive amount of time, money and energy on your outward appearance? This would include thinking about, talking about, worrying about, and shopping for...clothing, weight loss products or diets, cosmetic surgeries, gym memberships, etc. Is this really how you want to spend your limited time on this earth? Of course, I believe that we need to be healthy and strong in order to have energy to serve God and that we need to be neat and clean in appearance. I am talking about spending excessive time and money on our appearance. And constantly ruminating over it, as well.
- Are you saying "yes" to nearly everything asked of you? This can lead to frustration, stress, ineffectiveness, and always feeling scattered and behind schedule. Begin to filter these requests through the strainer of God's purpose and plan for this season of your life. Pray about things first. Understand that if God leads you to say "no" to something, then he has someone else to do that task who will get a great blessing from doing it. And, yes, there are other people who can do it as well as you can, maybe just in a different way.
- Are you taking seriously your responsibility as a wife and mother? Your husband should be the #1 priority in your life behind Jesus Christ. Then would come your children. Is there any time left for them in your busy day? And I mean time to touch them, hug them, and listen to their hearts. Do you allow time and set the atmosphere for your children to express their concerns, fears and struggles with you...to share their successes and discoveries? Do you make time to show your appreciation and love to your husband?
- Do you make it a priority to joyfully serve others? When was the last time you helped someone who could not repay you? We shouldn't be so wrapped up in ourselves that we never look outward to see the needs around us. No you can't meet every need...but if you keep your eyes open, God will lead you to someone who needs your special touch or attention. Jesus Christ talked so much about (and modeled for us) humble servanthood for a reason! We are to follow his lead.
- Are you a "people pleaser"? Many women seem to be like play dough...they take the shape of whomever is around them at the time. Stop trying to "fit in" with the right people! Give up trying to be accepted by the world. There is only one person whom you must please and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Seek only His approval and acceptance...it's all that really matters. Do only tasks that he is leading you to do. They may not be glorious, attractive, attention-getting tasks in this season of your life but...the center of God's will is always the best place to be!
- How much time do you set aside daily for reading God's Word? How about spending time in prayer? If we cannot find time to sit quietly and hear from God because we are too busy driving to ladies functions, volunteering, entertaining ourselves and directing other people's lives, then we are in trouble! This personal time with the Lord is imperative if we are to have an intimate, effective relationship with Him. I realize that for moms with young children, this can be a challenge. Pray that the Lord would allow you to carve out time while the kids are napping or even playing quietly in the next room for you to meet with him. Or, maybe even after Dad gets home from work. You may even have to get up before the kids. Heaven forbid!
Encouragement from the Word
"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth"
III John 1:4
Friday, May 18, 2012
Living a Balanced Life Part 2
Here is a short personal survey to help you determine if you are living a balanced life: